Most websites about individual engines are either because they were famous or are today preserved.
5028 was “Unsung” and is long gone, but she was well liked by the Great Western footplate men who drove and fired her. She worked mainly in the Newton Abbot & Laira Areas.
The following pages trace her story from “Birth” in 1934 to her untimely “Death” in 1960.
The ruins of the actual castle in Wales, that 5028 was named after, still exist.
Now commonly known as White Castle,
the Welsh name is Llantilio Castle.